“SHE DID THIS FOR ME”

“And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, and stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. . . . And [Jesus] turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment” (Luke 7:37-38, 44-46).

Have you ever washed His feet with your tears? Have you come to Him asking nothing for yourself or your ministry or your family? Have you come simply pouring out on Him a gift of incense, an alabaster box of love and worship? Listen to His heart cry: “Thou gavest Me no kiss. No water for My tired feet! But she did this for Me!”

In Matthew 26, another woman came to Jesus and poured perfume on His head as He sat eating. The disciples saw it and said with indignation, “To what purpose is this waste? For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor” (Matthew 26: 8-9). We are just like those disciples; we think it’s wasted time to be alone, ministering to His needs when so many poor, suffering people need our time and prayer petitions. Jesus said, “Why trouble ye the woman? For she hath wrought a good work upon me. For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always” (Matthew 26:10-11). In essence He was saying, “She did this for me!”